I’m officially back from vacation! I must say that between terrorizing my younger cousins and being terrorized by my cousins I’m ready for another vacation.
I’ll just highlight a few things about the trip. Let’s see, shall we do a list? Let’s do.
- My cousin got third degree burns on his nipple. Apparently if you put salt & ice together, it burns your skin off?
- That same cousin got stung by a jelly fish & I taught him how to pee on his sting.
- J-Bird woke me up at 6 am to go bike riding on the island we were staying on.
- My mom danced in front of God and everyone in a beachwear store. I’m pretty sure they considered kicking us out.
- My brother’s girlfriend talked me into trying on ridiculous bathing suits while my mom danced.
- A different cousin went off to get her bellybutton pierced. She’s only 15.
- That same cousin spilled Cheeze-Itz all over my bedroom floor, so we had little orange crumbs everywhere like the entire week.
- We visited the local aquarium. I petted a bamboo shark. I also yelled at a small Asian man in the cafe for not giving me a free refill on my drink.
- During the family photo shoot, I fell off a stool & still have the bruise to show for it.
- My mom & I purchased matching sweatshirts.
- I called 911 on two guys that hit my mom’s car with fireworks on the 4th of July.
So there it is. My vacation, which I know is a stretch in the meaning of the word, in a nutshell. I go back to work today. Back to life. Back to reality.
I have some seriously exciting news for you guys (even if my title proclaims otherwise)! J-Bird & I are adopting a cat from the humane society!
It all started about a week ago when I was out with a few coworkers for lunch. The girls & I decided to stop by a pet store & there she was: Maya! She was soooo cute that I immediately fell in love with her & knew I wanted her to come home with me. Later that evening, I picked J-Bird up from work & took him to see her.
Since then, we’ve been put in contact with her foster mom & all the plans are made to do the adoption on July 7. We’re so pumped!
The other piece of news (yea, there’s more) is that we’re getting 2 new roommates by the third week of July. I don’t know yet how I feel about this. All I really know is that they’re both college students, females and biochem majors. I hope we like them, but the Amityville house is about to get real crowded.
Don’t worry, I’ll keep you guys posted.
As summer quickly approaches, out come the creepy crawlers that lurk in the darkness of the Amityville house. Granted, we expected this to happen.
Our washer & dryer are both down in the basement (which is unfinished) so I have to make regular trips down there to do laundry. I always make J-Bird go with me because its dark (duh) & it smells funny. And, it’s potentially haunted.
3 nights ago, however, we figured out exactly what was haunting our basement. The camel cricket. An evil, spider looking creeper that lurks in the dark waiting to pounce on your pants leg at any given moment. Terrifying. I’d have rather it been a ghost.
Thing is, there’s not just one or two (um…we never get that lucky, guys) there’s like a hundred down there. It’s yet another infestation. Go figure. They’re huge. Well some of them. I also noticed these tiny little black dots & when I got really close in to the floor I realized they were baby camel crickets. I ran straight up the freaking stairs & out the front door screaming. No wonder none of my neighbors ever ask us for sugar.
Anyway, I have no clue what we’re doing about the camel crickets. Suggestions appreciated. Also, photo is courtesy of J-Bird. You guys know I sure as hell didn’t get that close to those nasty suckers.
It was 95 degrees as I drove home from work this evening. 95 degrees. In case you didn’t read that properly the first time. Summer is upon us here in North Carolina. I love summer.
In fact, I went wild today & didn’t even wear tights to work. Whoa, slow down, I know, wild woman. I don’t have any sort of tan on my legs. Actually, I won’t ever have a tan. I’m naturally pale, but I hear that’s in this year.
Also, I went ahead & got my summer duffel bag out of the top of my closet yesterday (it has all my summer dresses & bathing suits in it). When I unzipped that sucker, the most wonderful aroma hit my nostrils! The aroma of summer! I swear, I sat there for like an hour sniffing my duffel bag. I tried to get J-Bird to do it too, but he doesn’t cave on the peer pressure very easily so he missed out on the smell of summer. Ah, his loss.
Time to break out the sandals, flip flops & cute toe-nail polish.
Also time to let my hair grow out long enough to put in a ponytail because North Carolina summers are brutal & humid & my hair will be an afro 5 minutes of being outside. Minor drawback.
Have a good rest of the week, guys. Stay cool if you live in the south.